Each month I’ll be sending out an SHS Website Newsletter. They will be filled with ideas for using your class website and ways to improve the use of technology in your classroom. If there is something you would like to learn more about or have a question let me know.
Featured Teacher Website:
This month’s featured teacher website is that of Crystal McCanich – http://sobrietyhighschool.com/crystal_mcaninch/. Crystal has been using her class website for well over a year to keep her face-to-face classes updated as well as teach an online class.
I have setup a new Support website for commonly asked questions, tutorials, and resources. Take a look at http://sobrietyhighschool.com/support/
- Free Software
- Looking for some new software for writing lessons, presenations, or editing graphics? This resource has links to a variety of free open source programs. Most are for Mac OS, many also are available for Windows.
- WordPress screencasts
- A variety of video tutorials on using your wordpress teacher website. Categories include Blog layout & theme, Writing, Widgets, Comments, and adding Links
- How get a computer to print to the Canon Photocopier
- How to print double-sided
Four new themes have been added for you to choose from. Each has it’s own unique look and set of features. Some are complex and let you create an elaborate feature filled class website (Arras), while others keep it simple (MNML). Click on the links to read more about them and see a working version.
To choose that theme, log into your school website account and choose “Themes” under the “Appearance” menu on the left.
- A sophisticated, yet simple and clean WordPress theme for magazine/news blogs. Homepage comes with a featured slideshow and 3 featured post areas with 4 different customisable layouts. Comes with in one, two and three column layouts and 7 different alternate styles. WordPress 3.0-ready with two menu locations, custom post types and custom taxonomies support. Child theme ready with numerous action and filter hooks available for use. Community support available at theme forums.
- A squeaky-clean theme featuring a custom menu, header, background, and layout. Coraline supports 7 widget areas (up to 3 in the sidebar, four in the footer) and featured images (thumbnails for gallery posts and custom header images for posts and pages). It includes styles for print and the Visual Editor, special styles for posts in “Asides” and “Gallery” categories, and has an optional full-width page template that removes the sidebar.
- Nice theme with lots of options. Up to six widgets area. Selectable layout among right or left or holy grail or no sidebar, fixed width or fluid width, magazine style or traditional style, 5 color schemes, custom header, custom background, and many more options as if it’s premium theme. Supporting WordPres 3.0 Navigation Menu, and also come with beautiful Tabbed Sidebar Widget.
- Did you want something simple and cool looking? Something easy to post to? Something that looked and worked like the tumblelog-style WordPress theme MNML?
Customizing your website:
- 50+ backgrounds to use in your theme – http://www.onextrapixel.com/2010/09/24/50-pattern-sets-to-spice-up-your-websites-background/
- How to change the background and header image of your 2010 Theme